We can deliver our laser and traditional surveys as a BIM ready 3D Revit model. These provide an accurate base model which the architects can use to develop the detailed design of their BIM project.
Survey for BIM specification
The first stage of a BIM survey project is to create a specification that details all information required by the architects and engineers at the outset. This ensures the surveyors capture all required information when they are onsite surveying. And as a result are able to deliver the 3D Revit Model with with the required Level of Detail (LOD).
In addition to architectural detailing we can also incorporate mechanical and electrical services information within the 3D BIM Model. We can then add further detail on the topographic and underground utilities data.
There are five stages to our “Survey for BIM” specifications. We have developed these in line with the RIBA Digital Plan of Works. This provides a great starting point for determining your requirements.
The Level of Detail or LOD contained in the model increases progressively through the stages.
LOD1 – Base survey mass model
- contains the basic outline of buildings and structures, but without any architectural details at a 1:200 traditional scale.
LOD2 – Structural components base survey model
- the next level of model contains major structural components and structural openings at a 1:200 traditional scale
LOD3 – Standard survey model
- Level 3 contains the principal basic architectural details and structures, suitable to generate survey plans, elevations and sections at 1:50 or 1:100 traditional scale.
- building the basic families to a default setting. These may include main MEP services or FFE in outline form.
LOD4 – Detailed survey model
- The next level – a LOD4 contains detailed architectural and structural features.
- families will be built to a greater detail and principle finishes and construction will be indicated where know.
- once created this model will be suitable for generating survey plans, elevations and sections at 1:50 or 1:20 traditional scale.
- the model is also suitable for recording historic or listed buildings.
- the main and subsidiary MEP and FFE elements will be included if required.
LOD5 – Detailed survey model with meta data
- As with a level 4 model, but enhanced with the addition of non-geometric/parametric data and record information supplied by the Client or other third parties where defined and agreed at the outset.
The amount of time and therefore cost of capturing the data and creating the model will increase as the level of detail increases.
Once we have agreed the model’s Level of Detail, we can then discuss how to accommodate either a Revit® Families library or incorporate your preferred specification using a bespoke format that we will create.
Digital construction related services
In addition to our survey for BIM, we also offer additional 3D BIM model support services which you can use throughout the lifecycle of your project. These include
- 3D Design Co-ordination
- 3D Model Project Management and Clash Detection reporting
- Additional measurement e.g. ‘As built’ Verification Surveys
With our practical experience of digital construction, our professional team of surveyors provide much more than accurate measurements. We provide knowledgeable support and project management that will help you enjoy the much celebrated benefits of BIM in reducing time, cost and waste.