Advice on Party Wall Issues

“The Party Wall Etc Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings”

Example showing the old and new buildings next to each other with party wall alleyway

When is a party wall notice required?

If you want to undertake work to your own property that may affect a neighbouring property, you will need to find out if a Party Wall Notice is required.

A notice is required not just for shared “party” walls, but also for boundary walls or neighbouring buildings where you are planning to undertake excavation within close proximity.

Get sound advice on party wall issues at the start of your project

Our building surveyors will provide advice on how this should be done, and will act on your behalf to ensure the notices are correctly issued. Where a dispute arises under the Act we are able to negotiate and prepare a Party Wall Agreement with the Adjoining Owner or their surveyor.

We would highly recommend seeking our professional advice at the early stages of a project. By seeking advice at the design stage we may be able to save you time and money by reducing your exposure to Party Wall issues or by managing them in accordance with the procedures under the Party Wall Act to avoid unnecessary delays.

Have you been served a party wall notice?

If on the other hand you have been served a Party Wall Notice and would like to seek professional advice, please get in touch.

We can act on your behalf in responding to notices and negotiating agreements with the building owner’s surveyor to ensure that the neighbouring works that may affect your property are pursued correctly in accordance with the Party Wall Act.

If you would like advice on any Party Wall issues, please contact Mark Johnson or Robin Thorp on 01493 412806 or email (contact details can also be found at the top of this page).